Saturday, December 14, 2013

Nibble Boxes: Nibblr Box #1



Yesterday I got my first Nibblr box in the mail. I actually got an email the night before letting me know to expect it in the mail, which was pretty helpful. Whereas Graze is a square, this is a rectangle with a much more decorative box. Yet unlike Graze's recyclable/compostable/whatever box, this box doesn't appear to be. Yet graphically it is far superior!


As with the Graze box, this came with an insert. Again, graphically this insert is much better. In fact, it's a fold-out poster of "Life's Too Short to Be Hangry" by Dana Tanamachi with a bio of the artist. One thing that I appreciate about this insert is that it has a handwritten note!

The snacks themselves are just like Graze, individual packs that contain the name as well as nutrition info on the box. There is a "use by" date for each snack as well as weight. Same with Graze, the weight varies from 0.95 oz/27 grams to 1.45 oz/41 grams (and as with Graze, the heaviest item is the more "junky" item).


Sesa-Me & You (sesame honey almond)
Very tasty! It's similar to other honey glazed nuts. It's simply almonds with a hardened honey glaze then rolled in sesame seed bits. The only thing I wasn't too thrilled about was the fact that sugar was the #1 ingredient. I expected almonds (or honey) but it's sugar. Other than that, it definitely a great snack!

Ale House Blend (brazilian steakhouse peanut crackers, corn nuts, and mini pretzel)
It's been a very long time since I had any corn nuts. I'm not the biggest fan of them but they're not bad. They do work in this mix, a perfect fit! The mini pretzels were slightly salted and, well, they're mini pretzels. Not much else to report. The "brazilian steakhouse peanut crackers" were peanuts encased in a spicy cracker shell. So you had the very slight hint of strong spices to mix with all the salt. Obviously being "ale house" I expected it to be salted (since the whole purpose is to get you to buy more drinks) and the name was exact. It wasn't too salty but it was salty enough to make me thirsty.


My Ipanema Love (banana chips, currants, brazil nuts)
From Wikipedia, "Ipanema is a neighborhood located in the South Zone of the city of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil." I've heard the name before but honestly didn't know much about it. Now I know! As for the mix itself, it's WYSYG (what you see is what you get). No extra spices or anything, just a simple fruit and nut mix. It went together pretty well, but I was disappointed to only have 1.75 brazil nuts (yeah, one of them had a quarter missing off of it). So besides getting fewer nuts than I wanted, I enjoyed it.

PB Graham (peanuts, peanut wafer, graham cookies)
Lot of peanut flavor here! The peanut portion is the majority of the mix which is expected, but the peanuts are unroasted and unsalted. The graham cookies matched well here. The peanut wafer is basically a disc of sugary peanut butter (think those peanut butter chips used in cookies melted into a disc). Obviously that was the most delicious part of the mix! Overall I think it would have been better if the peanuts were roasted and salted. I can also see using this mixture in chocolate for "peanut butter chocolate bark". Hmmm...may have to whip up a recipe for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment