Thursday, December 12, 2013

Nibble Boxes: Graze Box #1

The other week I decided to join a subscription program called Graze, which mails you a box of 4 "healthy" snacks. Obviously they're not tasteless healthy, but instead healthier snacks which taste great. These types of boxes are called nibble boxes.


With Graze, there are 100 different types of snacks they have to get. You don't explicitly choose what you're going to get but you can rate the various snacks available on a 4 option scale of "do not send" up to "I want this snack more frequently". Almost all the snacks to choose from sounded delicious but I knew I wanted to try new items so I selected about a fifth of the options as "do not send". You can always change how you rate the items, in fact they encourage you to always update based on what you like and don't like from what you try.

I got my first box this week, so it took them only a week to get it to me. It's a nice size box 9.5 inches by 6.5 inches so it could fit in your mailbox. All the snacks are in a plastic container so if it doesn't fit in the mailbox it will still be protected. In it is a welcome note introducing me to the company and some other notes. On the back of the note is the nutrition facts for the 4 snacks in the box which also includes weight and "best by" dates. They're 28 grams (0.99oz) up to 41 grams (1.4oz). The "best by" range is pretty good, going from 4 weeks all the way up to 20 weeks. Not that I honestly expect any of these to last that long!


Chili and Lime Pistachios
It didn't look like a lot but about halfway through I realized it was actually quite filling, which surprised me. The pistachios tasted like the name suggests with hints of lime and chili. The chili isn't too overpowering but you can still feel the slight tingle of chili on the tip of the tongue, while the hint of lime is soothing. This was a very well done combination!

Brooklyn Bites (poppyseed pretzels, cheese cashews, roasted pumpkin seeds)
I tried this one-by-one so I could get an accurate taste of each piece. The poppyseed pretzels were ok but nothing outstanding. I honestly found they lacked taste since majority of the poppyseeds were scraped off in the container due to friction. I still enjoyed them, just not as much as I hoped. The cheese cashews, though, were fantastic! It has a cheesy rub on it that isn't too powerful but still has an adequate cheese taste. The roasted pumpkin seeds actually picked up the flavor of the cheese rub and also were attached to a few of the rubbed off poppyseeds giving them an extra "oomph" taste.

Smoky Gazpacho with Wholemeal Crisp Bread Slices
I've never had gazpacho before so I was hesitant about this one. It was...ok. It had a smoky flavor for sure, and I couldn't exactly comprehend the taste of the gazpacho. Tomato of course with strong onion and a hint of garlic. I don't know if I'd want this again. Not that was bad, just not as tasty as I want. Maybe I just need to get used to it.



Florentine (Belgian dark chocolate, cranberries, pumpkin seeds)
This is likely one that should have been "too normal" for me to get, but I did salivate at thinking of this combo. Well this was quite amazing! Obviously looking at the ingredients it's not hard to tell why. Chocolate, cranberries, and pumpkin seeds? Delicious! The chocolate discs were nice size and perfect for scooping up some cranberries and pumpkin seeds. I'm glad this one was the heaviest of the bunch.

Overall I thought this was a good introduction to nibble boxes. Had an eclectic mix of snacks including things I had never tried before. I also signed up for Nibblr which is almost the exact same thing, I should get that box at some point soon. I actually signed up there before I signed up for Graze, so I'm surprised I don't have it yet. Once I get that I'll make a post, then in 2 weeks once I get my next Graze box I'll make a post for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment