Saturday, September 15, 2012

Recipe - Dalek Cupcakes

I'm big Doctor Who fan even though it was only a year ago I found the show on Netflix and quickly devoured all episodes. Every Whovian knows that Daleks are evil. They're so evil they deserve their own effigy, thus Dalek Cupcakes! Then, you're able to EXTERMINATE by devouring them! 

I would like to acknowledge the awesome Tofu Guru who was my inspiration for my version. She creates her version as vegan and...well...I wasn't willing to go to that much effort (aka didn't want to spend money on vegan materials I may never use again) which forced me to create my own. Check out her video, even if it's just to enjoy the music from Chameleon Circuit (a Whovian band that is amazing) or if you just want to look at a cute girl bake, lol.

Each Dalek is assembled with 3 cupcakes, 1 regular and 2 minis. I chose to use Devil's Food Cake since, you know, Daleks are full of hate and evil and all that. I actually decided to model my creation off of Dalek Caan, so instead of 2 mini-cupcakes I instead used 1 mini-cupcake and 1 mini-cheesecake. The cheesecake can be from a simple recipe (8 ounces cream cheese, 1/3 cup sugar, and 1 egg with a splash of vanilla, mixed in that order and not all at once) and represents Caan inside the armored chassis. If you wish to keep it simple, just stick with the 2 mini-cupcakes. 

 One thing to also keep in mind is what type of Dalek you want to create and get an idea of that first. I went with a generic dark colored Dalek so I went with Dark Chocolate Frosting. If you wish to use other colors, you can always go with a Cream Cheese or Vanilla Frosting and use a coloring on it (artificial food colors, icing colors, natural flavors, etc). I wish now that I had used another color so my picture would end up looking clearer, having all dark colors makes the layers difficult to tell.

To assemble, use a dollop of frosting to hold each layer together. An alternative is to go with a single pretzel stick and impale it through the center of all layers, thus ensuring all layers will not move easily. After you have the basic layers, frost the rest of the creation all over except for the very bottom. Now to pimp out your Dalek, starting from top to bottom:
 
-For the dome lights on top, I cut a white Good & Plenty in half and attach each at an angle on either side.
 

-For the eye stalk, I used half a pretzel stick covered in chocolate with a candy button at the end (attach automatically after dipping the stick in chocolate).
 

-For the neck rings, I used licorice strings. Daleks can have different numbers of rings between 3 and 4.
 

-For the Blast Gun, just half a pretzel stick dipped in chocolate and situate it on the left side.
 

-For the Sucker Cup or Plunger, just half a pretzel stick dipped in chocolate with a chocolate chip at the end (attach automatically after dipping the stick in chocolate) and situate it on the right side.
 

-For the hemispheres or sense globes (or, according to Rory, "eggs"), I used Sixlets. I went with 6 columns of 3 each but you can use any combination you want or can fit. Since Sixlets are pretty large, you can go with something smaller instead by using edible pearls/dragees.
 

After that's done, EXTERMINATE the Dalek and enjoy the sugar filled rush that will hit you from eating one of these. You'll act just like 11, giddy and excited ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment