Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Movie Review - Stonehenge Apocalypse

There's no easy way to say this: the movie Stonehenge Apocalypse was bad. Really really bad. It felt like one of the usual made-for-TV SyFy movies where the graphics are distinguishable and the dialogue is painful to listen to, such as a dumb character talking scientifically "it looks like a giant proboscis!" and the look on the actor's face tells you that he doesn't even understand what he's saying.

The worst thing about the movie is the graphics. Now I'm not going to lie, these are better graphics than I could make. I'm definitely not saying that I could do better, cause mine would totally blow. Yet it seems they went with CGI for places that didn't need to use it. The movie is about Stonehenge and it's shown extensively, yet it appears they never actually shot any real footage of Stonehenge. Instead, almost all shots appear to be CGI. So when people are walking around Stonehenge in the beginning, everything just looks off. They likely would have saved a lot of money by creating Styrofoam cutouts of blocks and colored to look like Stonehenge, that way it would have looked real and at least made the movie somewhat enjoyable.

The best thing about the movie is Misha Collins, aka Castiel from Supernatural. He does his best in such a bad situation. It is nice to see him out of Supernatural and the role seemed right for him, hopefully he can get in some better movies soon so he can show how much he can shine. I really thought the beginning sequence with him as a radio host was pretty great besides the incredibly fakey accents from the "British" characters calling in which were baaaaaad.

There are also loads of various types of goofs. Sounds like the continuity editor didn't check some stuff while doing the movie. To read them, check out IMDb's Goofs page for the movie.

I looked into the Writer/Director, Paul Ziller. Evidently he's done a lot of other movies, most of them also made-for-TV movies. Guessing the quality will be similar to these so I'm not sure if I'll ever give them a chance. I'm reading some of the descriptions (Ghost Storm, Iron Invader, Yeti: Curse of the Snow Demon, and Beyond Loch Ness) and they all sound promising. Just like Stonehenge Apocalypse sounded promising, so it's a crapshot on whether you'll find a good movie or a bad movie. Looking at the user-submitted reviews for the other movies, sounds like they will all be just like Stonehenge Apocalypse. Maybe if I ever want to do have a "Bad Movie Night" then these will be considerations, lol!

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your review. As an aspiring film maker I always get uncomfortable reading reviews and wondering what a reviewer would think of my most recent project. But, you seemed to give an open and honest review of what tragically was just an awful wreck. The IMDB page of error confirmed your take on the film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I try to be honest, describing movies as I see them. I know that no matter how bad the movie is, it's likely better than I could ever do it. I try not to completely trash a movie but sometimes, like this one, it's hard to find the positive in it.

      Delete